Friday, January 13, 2017

DEEP AGONY

When a man breaks down in body quaking sobs, then life must have banged him real hard.
There are moments when pain seems so unbearable.

Meet Kelvin Macaulay who has been through the worst periods of his life and summons courage to talk about it.

" I no longer believe in anything supernatural neither do I believe in miracles, I have seen bad people do really bad things... But I don't know why this has to happen to us? - Nma and I. "

They say time is the best healer but it has turned out to be the worst for Kelvin.

Adore's Maternity Centre has admitted Nma died of a ruptured womb which lead to a cardiac arrest and major organ failure. Two mid wives have been suspended and the centre sued.

Kelvin's wife, his baby and life he had imagined with them had been cruelly taken away from him. He started suffering from post-traumatic stress and began living off incapacity benefits from the government.
" I used to sell life insurance but I can't do that anymore"- Kelvin. He often ended up depressed when he sold insurances to clients. It reminded him of how he could not insure Nma's life and that of their baby.

All night, all I could think of was Nma's suffering and sleep was impossible, his heart races and revisits scenes he wished he could forget.
If nights are bad, the days are no better for Kelvin. "I take pills but sleep refuses to descend".

               °°°°°°°°°°°°°
It was a tale that began on a cold breezy harmattan evening; a friend had asked Kelvin to accompany him to an Ultra Mart on Legislative street and he met a daintily beautiful girl, chubby and friendly. He felt temporarily dizzy indeed on seeing her as though she was his better half.

After that night, Kelvin was back at the Ultra mart to look for her, he was told that she worked only on weekends.
He did go back the third time on the next weekend and of course, Nma was around. She worked as a part time cashier at the Ultra mart.

Fortunately, they got along. Nma was a second year student at the same University where Kelvin schooled.
"I don't know where time went when we were together" Kelvin said grinning from ear to ear.
Nma wasn't certain of her feelings even though she loved him.
"She wasn't saying yes or no to marriage yet but I was going to wait for her".

Kelvin was in his final year as a computer engineering student and he was ready to build and grow in love with his newly found 'lily'.

°°°°°°°°°°

Two years later in early 2013, Kelvin and Nma tied the nuptial cord in Ghana, Kelvins place of origin before returning home to continue life with his young wife.
In the August break of 2014, Nma got pregnant.
"This child was going to be her life, she was delirious"- Kelvin.

Nma was an orphan, no mom, no dad.
"I was determined to be with her through this pregnancy and we went for ante-natal together -" I learned and read everything I could about pregnancy and being a good father and supportive husband, bought all that our unborn baby would need, I was ready for Nma and my baby; Every night we lay together on the bed I spoke to baby and Nma would squeal when she moved in her tummy"- Kelvin.
The couple's home was set for the arrival of the new baby.

°°°°°°°°°°

Easter period of 2014, Nma's tummy had dropped ; Medical implication was that the baby's head had descended into the pelvis in preparation for birth allowing the mother to breathe easily.

Contractions started by 4:00pm and Kelvin literally flew home from work to pick Nma up to the Maternity Centre.
"Nma had a hard time staying calm, I have never seen her cry profusely... Often when she had the surge of pain, she would grip my right palm and squeeze my bones out... I held the steering wheel with just one hand while I let Nma have my other hand for comfort" -  Kelvin.

Kelvin finally drove his way through the increasing traffic and got to the hospital with Nma in one piece.
The doctor who was supposed to help Nma in delivery promised to be at the Maternity Centre soon.

The nurses on duty got Nma on bed, got me a chair to sit by her and checked to see if she was dilated "she's just 7.5cm, we would wait".
"If I didn't know anything much about pregnancy and childbirth, I would have thought what that meant"- Kelvin.

Minutes turned into hours and no nurse came in to check on her again, they chattered noisily down the hall way.
"I was so disturbed and increasingly concerned,  twice I went to see the nurses, they told me Nma was alright but I needed no prophet to tell me something was absolutely going wrong... I wished I had taken her away but I decided to wait for the doctor who had pleaded with me to exercise patience when I called him."

Kelvin could see the deep agony in Nma's face as she whimpered weakly. Her pupils were dilating and she was becoming non-responsive while sweating profusely.

Read more?
Deep Agony 2
Faction; Fiction plus Reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We really appreciate you for taking your time here . Do leave a fingerprint of your presence by comments, it would mean a lot.
Thank you once again!